If you have ever been through a difficult situation, such as moving, job changes, relationship challenges, or breakups then you used some form of coping to help you move through it. Coping is simply ‘the thoughts and behaviors’ used during tough times. Based on our individual life experiences, we have different ways to cope. Some ways people cope can be positive and others can be more negative. Oftentimes it is easier to turn to negative coping such as excessive drinking, drug use, overworking, self-harm, or ignoring the problem. In the end, these don’t work, and anxiety and depression can ensure.
The goal of learning positive coping skills, in therapy, is to help you solve the problem, build resilience, and improve mental health and overall functioning. At AMR MentalHealth Therapy, we will review and implement several techniques focusing on emotional focused coping and solution focused coping.
Emotion-focused coping is meant to help change a person’s emotional reaction to the problem. This coping strategy is generally used by people when they cannot change the situation, such as a break-up, job loss, or the passing of a loved one.
· Keeping yourself busy to keep your mind away from the stressors.
· Seeking emotional support, sympathy, and understanding from others
· Doing some destructive activities not to think of the stressors.
· Writing, drawing, keeping a journal to release negative emotions.
· Taking a walk.
· Cleaning, organizing your environment.
· Going shopping.
· Spending times with friends.
· Taking a short vacation.
· Crying, laughing.
· Praying, meditating.
Solution-focused coping is meant to help make changes through a better understanding of the problem. This coping strategy is generally used by people when they believe they can make changes in the situation, such as a difficult fight, stress from a current job, or mending familial relationships.
· Analyzing the situation.
· Actively trying to remove the stressors.
· Seeking professional advice or help.
· Working harder for the next time.
· Developing self-discipline and control.
When healthy and functional coping strategies are used to solve the problems, we are more easily able to grow as people and live better lives. If you have had trouble and need help learning and implementing positive coping skills, seeking therapy is an option to begin the process. Contact AMR Mental Health Therapy today to hone your positive coping skills.